Protecting your baby’s mattress.
Do you really need a mattress protector? In short, yes! And here are a few reasons why.
- Hygiene: mattress protectors are machine washable and can be regularly washed to maintain freshness. Babies spend a lot of time asleep and therefore the hygiene and freshness of their sleep surface is important. If the mattress gets moisture in it from sweat, vomit, soiling the bed, spilt milk etc. this can be difficult to clean.
- Convenience: often mattresses do not have a washable cover. Therefore, if the mattress is soiled, it is difficult to clean. A mattress protector can be machine washed. If the bedding is soiled, the mattress protector along with the sheet can be removed and washed and the bed can be remade and used straight away.
- Longevity of your mattress: if the mattress gets soiled often without a protector, there will come a time when you will no longer want to use the mattress. Using a protector means your mattress will last at least as long as your child needs the mattress for.
Now that you have heard the benefits of using a Mattress protector on your cot/bassinet mattress you may be wondering what kind of mattress protector you should use. At Cariboo we stock the Protect-a-bed range which has a variety of different options. Below are the benefits of each type of protector, to help you choose which is best for your baby:
- Cotton Terry: Best for accidents and spills. Terry towelling is best for spills and bed wetting. Available in absorbent, and super absorbent. Cotton Terry protectors provide a firm and dense feeling. Cotton is hypoallergenic, as it is a natural fibre.
- Cotton Quilted: Best for comfort. Traditional quilted style; best for everyday comfort, with all the benefits of cotton, plus the added benefit of extra support and padding, thanks to the natural cotton filling.
- Tencel®: Best for Sensitive skin. Silky and cool, Tencel® is ideal for people with sensitive skin and eczema. Made from odourless wood-based fibres, it stays cool in Summer, and warm in Winter. Supported by the Eczema Association as Sensitive Skin Tried and Tested.